Physiol Mol Biol Plants. 2017 Oct;23(4):767-777. doi: 10.1007/s12298-017-0470-7. Epub 2017 Sep 18.
Vigna mungo (Urdbean) is cultivated in the tropical and sub-tropical continental region of Asia. It is not only important source of dietary protein and nutritional elements, but also of immense value to human health due to medicinal properties. Yellow mosaic disease caused by Mungbean Yellow Mosaic India Virus is known to incur huge loss to crop, adversely affecting crop yield. Contrasting genotypes are ideal source for knowledge discovery of plant defence mechanism and associated candidate genes for varietal improvement. Whole genome sequence of this crop is yet to be completed. Moreover, genomic resources are also not freely accessible, thus available transcriptome data can be of immense use. V. mungo Transcriptome database, accessible at http://webtom.cabgrid.res.in/vmtdb/ has been developed using available data of two contrasting varieties viz., cv. VM84 (resistant) and cv. T9 (susceptible). De novo assembly was carried out using Trinity and CAP3. Out of total 240,945 unigenes, 165,894 (68.8%) showed similarity with known genes against NR database, and remaining 31.2% were found to be novel. We found 22,101 differentially expressed genes in all datasets, 44,335 putative genic SSR markers, 4105 SNPs and Indels, 64,964 transcriptional factor, 546 mature miRNA target prediction in 703 differentially expressed unigenes and 137 pathways. MAPK, salicylic acid-binding protein 2-like, pathogenesis-related protein and NBS-LRR domain were found which may play an important role in defence against pathogens. This is the first web genomic resource of V. mungo for future genome annotation as well as ready to use markers for future variety improvement program.