Researcher - Agronomy and Pest Ecology
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
This position will be based at the IRRI Vietnam Office in An Giang.
Plan and implement routine field experiments and other research activities in the field of adaptive agronomy and pest ecology. Coordinate with collaborating partners (i.e. DARDs, CLRRI, Central Project Management Unit VnSAT, farmer groups, etc.) in the different research locations for the smooth organization and execution of training events to ensure effective technology and knowledge transfer. Collect and validate data and manage file database for easy storage and retrieval of information.
IRRI’s involvement in the Vietnam Sustainable Agriculture Transformation Project (VnSAT) is as a preferred service provider through until the completion of the project in October 2020. The project objective is to contribute to the implementation of the Agricultural Restructuring Plan of Vietnam through strengthening the institutional capacity and promoting sustainable farming practices of rice in the Mekong Delta.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Plan and implement routine field experiments and other research activities in the field of rice agronomy and pest ecology.
- Assist with training of DARDs on best management practices for lowland rice production.
- Set up large field demonstration trials in the Mekong River delta of Vietnam, including the implementation of monitoring protocols, preparation of materials, and the collection of crop data.
- Collect, process and perform basic graphical and statistical data analysis to ensure that all the information are accurate, reliable and relevant to the study.
- Coordinate with collaborating partners (i.e. DARDs, CLRRI, Central Project Management Unit (CPMU) of VnSAT, farmer groups, etc.) in eight provinces for the smooth organization and execution of trainings, mainly training of trainers, to ensure effective technology and knowledge transfer.
- Monitor capacity of researcher collaborators and extension staff in relation to the implementation of protocols to ensure accuracy of research data being gathered.
- Proactively provide support to two national and four IRRI consultants to ensure efficient execution of the study.
- Assist with the development of training material in Vietnamese language for training DARD extension specialists; capture what needs to be updated based on feedback from participants in training courses
- Be an effective emissary of IRRI for extension staff from the eight provinces involved in VnSAT
- Collect and validate data and manage file database for easy storage and retrieval of information
- Contribute to the preparation of six-monthly reports to the CPMU, particularly research progress at the two large demonstration sites and summarizing who attended and their feedback for all training activities
- Contribute to the writing of manuscripts and articles for annual reports and publications in refereed journals as well as presentations and posters to be used in national and international conferences
- Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science, Agronomy or related field and 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Master’s degree in Animal Science, Agronomy or related field and 1 year of relevant work experience.
- Field experience
- Should have experience in scientific/technical writing
- Good interpersonal skills
- Team Player
- Has proven technical proficiency in conducting research experiments
- Experience in dealing with Vietnamese DARDs (to speak and understand Vietnamese language)
- Current driver’s license
- Knowledge of crop pests
IRRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.