Tel: (+84.4) 3861 5487 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (+84.4) 3861 3937 Website: http:// vaas.org.vn
The Vietnam Academy of Agricultural Sciences (VAAS) has a long history and prestigious history. It was established by the Decision No. 220/2005/QD-TTg of the Prime Minister on 9th September 2005 and the Decision No. 3530/QD-BNN-TCCB, No.3531/QD-BNN-TCCB, No.3533/QD-BNN-TCCB dated on 10/12/2009, No.1687/QD-BNN-CCB dated on 21/06/2010 and No.2051/QD-BNN-TCCB dated on 29/7/2010 of the Minister of Agriculture and Rural development, based on reorganization of the scientific research institutions under the MARD. The formers of the Academy were research institutes belonging to the Ministry of Agricultural Cultivation, the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry such as the Institute of Crop production (1952), Agriculture and Forestry Research Institute (1955), Research Institute of Crop production (1957), Institute of Agriculture and Forestry (1958), Institute of Agricultural Sciences (1963) and the Institute of Agricultural Science and Technique of Vietnam (1977).
Headquarters: Vinh Quynh - Thanh Tri - Hanoi.
Human recourses: Currently total staff: 3,077, including 30 Professors and Associate Professors; 208 PhD; 536 M.Sc.; 1315 B.Sc.
06 Functional Departments & 18 Member Institutions
Functional Departments: Administration, Personnel, Science & International Cooperation; Post-Graduate Training; Information; Finance & Accounting.
1. Institute of Agriculture for the South (IAS)
2. Cuu Long Rice Research Institute (CCRRI)
3. Plant Protection Research Institute (PPRI)
4. Sugarcane Research Institute (SRI)
5. Field Crops Research Institute (FCRI)
6. Northern Mountainous Agriculture & Forestry Science Institute (NOMAFSI)
7. Agricultural Genetics Institute (AGI)
8. Agricultural Science Institute of Northern Central Vietnam (ASINCV)
9. Institute of Agricultural Environment (IAE)
10. Agricultural Science Institute for Southern Coastal Central of Vietnam (ASISOV)
11. Maize Research Institute (MRI)
12. Western Highland Agro-Forestry Science Institute (WASI)
13. Fruit and Vegetable Research Institute (FAVRI)
14. Plant Resources Center (PRC)
15. Soil and Fertilizer Research Institute (SFRI)
16. Vietnam Sericulture Research Center (VietSeri)
17. Southern Horticultural Research Institute (SOFRI)
18. Center for Technology Development & Agricultural Extension (CETDAE)
- To provide a comprehensive vision, strategic direction and oversight of agriculture R&D programs;
- To conduct basic and applied research and to foster the transfer of new technologies;
- To provide post-graduate and professional training
To implement scientific activities in the following areas:
- Plant genetics and genetic resource conservation
- Plant breeding
- Agricultural biotechnology
- Soil and plant nutrition
- Plant protection
- Agricultural environment
- Agrarian and farming systems
- Rural development
- Technology transfer and extension
- Post-graduate training and capacity building
- International cooperation
- Breeding, with priority of creating varieties adapted to climate change, enhancing resistance to main pests and diseases, short duration, high quality varieties met the increase in various needs of market.
- Studying technology package to enhance the competitiveness of each product in the market, focusing on research to rise commodities value chain. Pecedentely research of products in the areas of key commodities.
- Research on solutions of integrated crop management to achieve maximum economic yield and enhancing productivity in different ecological zones, narrowing the yield gap between different regions and farmer groups.
- Studying scientific basis to develop models of agricultural production by applying high technology and ecological agriculture. Research on agrarian system based on integrated socio-economic and environmental approaches, appropriate policies, households as well as the organizational model of production, commodity associations, suggestion of suitable production models to enhance economic efficiency.
- Studying mitigation and adaptation to climate change, reducing impacts of climate change on agricultural production as well as focusing on research and proposal of raw material for biofuel production instead of currently use of food sources, aiming to reduce the current competition of food for different targets, including these on biofuels.
Major achievements in the last 5 years
- 218 new plant varieties were bred and selected, of which 140 varieties were recognized by MARD (including rice, corn, beans, roots and tubers, vegetables, flowers, fruits, industrial crops, mulberry).
- 30 varietal patents were commercially transferred and authorized to seed trading companies.
Decoding the genome of high quality and resistance to unfavorable conditions rice varieties, genome mapping (GWAS).
- Conseved 38.444 samples of plant genetic resources in the country
- Maintain and preserved specimens (Over 8,000 insects with 100,000 specimens, more than 750 sample types of plant diseases and over 700 types weed).
- Transfered hundreds farming techniques, pest management procceses, standards, regulations and environment processing techniques for the production.
- 65 PhD and 155 MSc have been awarded in the last 5 years in different aspects of agriculture
Monthly published Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology Vietnam
- In recent 5 years, VAAS has developed cooperation in research and science technology transfer with 38 countries and 28 International Organizations. The areas of cooperation include collecting, conservation of plant genetic sources, plant breeding, biotechnology research, soil science, plant and animal nutrition, plant protection and health care, food safety and security, agrian systems, adapting to climate change, establishing plant clinics, agricultural information sharing, training, exchange of experts etc. Dozens international cooperation projects were signed and implemented successfully, hundreds of research staff were trained abroad.